Position: Emergency Services Clinician
Department: Integrated Services
Salary range: $61,206.00
Supervisor: Clinical Director
Description: Under direction of the Clinical Director, the Emergency Services Clinician responds to mental health crisis calls by providing emergency mental health assessments, crisis intervention, consultation and referral services. Facilitates client access to voluntary or involuntary psychiatric hospital care and prescribes other clinical interventions necessary to maintain safety and reduce harm. This position is a week-on/week-off position expected to be on-call all hours during scheduled weeks of duty.
|75%||Emergency Mental Health Services|
|25%||Administration / Documentation|
JAMHI Employee Expectations:
- Demonstrates reliable work attendance.
- Consistently arrives, ready to work, at appointed time.
- Consistently complies with break and meal schedules.
- Consistently notifies supervisor of work absences within the appropriate time frames.
- Protects client privacy when performing duties.
- Demonstrates knowledge of Client’s Rights/Responsibilities.
- Adheres to JAMHI’s Code of Ethics and Conflict of Interest.
- Comply with all JAMHI P&Ps and operational guidelines and local, state, and federal rules and regulations.
- Participates in identification of problems at JAMHI and contributes to group problem solving.
- Utilizes appropriate channels of communication for conflict resolution.
- Promotes harmonious relationships and favorable attitudes among work team.
- Gives and accepts feedback in a constructive manner.
- Wears appropriate, clean attire and maintains good personal hygiene.
- Knows location and use of emergency equipment (fire alarms, extinguishers, etc.)
- Knows Emergency procedures, including proper response protocol.
- Identifies and reports any unsafe conditions in a timely manner.
- Responds positively when learning needs are identified.
- Attends mandatory in-service programs.
JAMHI Pledge of Quality:
Commitment: In order to continuously improve in everything we do, we welcome, accept and act upon constructive feedback from any source.
Dedication: In order to fulfill our dedication to helping others, we work together and support each other – always.
Integrity: We keep the promises we make. We do not promise what we cannot do.
Accountability: We hold ourselves and each other accountable and responsible for our actions. WE do not look the other way. Measurements and time frames guide our progress.
Responsibility: We ALL accept responsibility to make a difference in meeting the needs of our co-workers, the customer and the community. We are ALL responsible for solutions to problems.
Recognition: We acknowledge each other’s successes. We find joy in what we do daily.
Respect: We treat each other in a dignified, friendly, courteous and professional manner at all times.
Communication: We respectfully Speak, Listen and Respond to ALL individuals. We do not make assumptions. We confirm the message sent is the one received.
Team Work: We have our expectations in order to help each other succeed in our daily responsibilities. This is the success of our organization, and the success of our clients.
- Provide clinical on-call services during scheduled shift.
- Throughout shift, be available to provide crisis intervention as appropriate by phone within 15 minutes and in person within 30 minutes from receipt of request.
- Conduct emergency services evaluations (Primarily at Bartlett Regional Hospital Emergency Room (ER), Lemon Creek Correctional Center (LCCC), and JAMHI’s facilities.
- Inform on-call clinician coming on duty, involved professionals (i.e. referring physician, attending psychiatrist, case manager) of results of crisis intervention, current client status, and appropriate follow-up, and provide with any pertinent documentation prior to end of shift.
- Prepare and submit all required documentation for all encounters; submitting hard copies of paperwork to Records and the Operations Support Specialist, as necessary, by the start of their shift. Keep supervisor informed of on-call activities.
- Initiate involuntary commitment petition as necessary and coordinate transportation to Alaska Psychiatric Institute or other facility with the state’s transportation contractor(s) in compliance with state regulations.
- Continually update knowledge of Alaska Statues pertinent to ES, court system, and procedures for communicating with Juneau Police Department (JPD), Bartlett Regional Hospital – Mental Health Unit (BRH – MHU) and Emergency Room (ER), Juneau Youth Services (JYS), and other community partners, including those outside the Juneau area.
- Refer to other agencies as appropriate to client need and available resources.
- Maintain confidentiality according to HIPAA and 42CFR Part II regulations, and JAMHI policy.
- Refrain from activities which may impair judgment or ability to perform assigned duties while on shift.
- Provide back up to other on-call staff and shifts as possible with a flexible attitude of cooperation among all team members to meet client need.
- Any changes in shift should be anticipated, except in cases of illness or personal emergency, and must be pre-approved by the Clinical Director and will require availability of clinical staff to cover absences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of a master’s degree in a behavioral health field, awarded at least 12 months prior to application.
- Must be professionally licensed in field or eligible for licensure and actively pursuing licensure.
- Eligibility for Bartlett Regional Hospital Allied Health Professional Privilege Certification.
- Ability to pass a criminal background check in accordance with the current state regulation requirements.
- Professional writing, computer and communications skills.
- Ability to provide and maintain a professional relationship with individual clients and their families, which allows for mutual respect, consistency and empathy in all interactions, and appropriate ethical and relational limits and boundaries.
- Must have valid Alaska driver’s license and be able to clear the JAMHI auto insurance screening through the independent insurance carrier and/or if driving own vehicle, the minimum state liability coverage is required.
Workers Supervised: 0
Application Instructions: To be considered for a position with JAMHI, you must submit both your resume and our employment application. Be sure to complete all requested information on the application form. Do not write “See Resume” on the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You may submit your paperwork by email HR@jamhi.org or by drop off at our clinic located at 3406 Glacier Hwy.