Clinical Records Specialist/Privacy Officer ($24.58 – $29.88 DOE)
If you thrive in a fast-paced environment with a team that is dedicated to providing our clients with the highest level of care so they can “Live their Own Best Lives”, then come join the JAMHI team. Our Clinical Records Specialist assists medical and clinical staff by preparing and maintaining confidential clinical records in compliance with HIPAA, 42 CFR Part II, and professional standards. Essential duties include the filing, retrieving, and distribution of clinical records. Processes release request(s) for clinical/medical information. Serve as Privacy Officer by overseeing ongoing activities as they relate to Privacy. Serves as supervisor for reception and is responsible for training receptionists, evaluating receptionists and implementing processes.
Major areas of Responsibility Include but not limited to:
- Serves as supervisor for reception and is responsible for training receptionists, evaluating receptionists, implementing processes and serving as primary back-up for reception as necessary.
- Monitor completion of new admission intake records; create new client records and records for all individuals seen through Emergency Services. Research archives to combine any file documentation (including Emergency Services records) with current records to provide comprehensive active records until full implementation of an Electronic Health Record is achieved.
- Ensure proper retrieval and distribution of client clinical records for staff and agency stakeholders, in accordance with agency, state, federal and accreditation standards and regulations.
- Monitor the completion of client discharge from services documentation. When complete, insure that the client file is transferred to the inactive portion of the file room until full implementation of an Electronic Health Record is achieved.
- Notify the Director of Performance Improvement & Compliance when a possible error and/or irregularity are detected in a client’s file.
- In accordance with agency policy, places inactive client records and progress notes, after a specified date, into archive status and storage. Maintain archived clinical documentation consistent with Compliance and Privacy regulations.
- Purge clinical records to remove expired or outdated documents in accordance with state, federal and professional regulations and standards as well as agency policy and procedures as stated per the retention & destruction policy.
- Maintain a disclosure log of all client records released by the agency, including dates, type of information released, and party to whom the information is released.
- Respond to all requests for information with regards to clinical records from outside agencies to ensure compliance with HIPAA and 42 C.F.R. Part 2.
- Coordinate with the contract psychiatrists to have forms and letters completed as requested by clients and outside agencies. Make sure there are proper release forms in place to follow through with these requests.
- Assist in the preparation for site reviews and audits.
- Maintain and develop the clinical records room and related procedures for efficiency, best practice standards, and confidentiality/privacy requirements.
- Serve as Privacy Officer and oversee all ongoing activities related to the development, implementation, maintenance of, and adherence to the organization’s policies and procedures covering the security of, and access to, patient health information in compliance with federal and state laws.
- Investigate incidents in which breach of privacy may have occurred. Report breaches as necessary in accordance with state and federal laws.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent OR
- Associates Degree in Health Information or related field.
- Two years of relevant work experience in Health Information or related field may be substituted for education.
- One year of supervisory experience.
- Must have strong writing and oral communication skills including good command of spelling and grammar, and must excel in attention to detail.
- Must have strong computer skills including working with Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Must demonstrate positive interpersonal skills, customer service skills, work well under pressure, and be able to work independently.
- Ability to keyboard with speed and accuracy is necessary.
- Bachelor Degree in business administration, healthcare administration or equivalent discipline, certified Healthcare Compliance.
- One year in a medical records setting and knowledge of medical terminology.
.Application Instructions: To be considered for a position with JAMHI, you must submit both your resume and our employment application. Be sure to complete all requested information on the application form. Do not write “See Resume” on the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You may submit your paperwork by email HR@jamhi.org or by drop off at our clinic located at 3406 Glacier Hwy.